Being involved in an accident can be very emotionally draining, and might leave you with a lot of questions. Here are some common questions our clients ask about important issues. Read these questions and answers before you take any action that might affect your claim.

Do I have a legal claim?

After an accident, the first thing you might wonder is whether or not you have a legal claim.The best way to answer this question is by arranging a consultation to discuss the details of your accident, but there are some basic things you can look for. Civil law states that the injured (or surviving family members) has a legal claim anytime someone causes harm intentionally, or through acting negligently.

Negligence is the most common personal injury suit, and it takes many forms. Accidents resulting from reckless driving, or poorly kept property that causes someone to be injured are examples of cases involving negligence.

Sometimes a person or entity can be held responsible through “strict liability.” This is when dangerous products cause harm, such as faulty medical equipment.

In essence, if you or a family member were injured due to the carelessness of others, you might be entitled to compensation.

Can I handle this myself, or do I need an attorney?

After an accident, many are tempted to handle the situation themselves without seeking legal help. It’s understandable that you want to get through your ordeal as quickly and with as little cost as possible. It’s crucial to understand the dangers of going it alone.

Mr. Elias is a New York and Florida licensed attorney who will ensure that you and your loved ones receive the compensation they need to ensure proper medical care. Insurance companies don’t want to pay, and often the amount they pay out depends on how aggressively the injured party fights for just compensation.

It’s easy to get caught up in the legal mess associated with personal injury claims. Don’t let the opposing side take advantage of you. Seek proper legal help so you can receive the best outcome for yourself and your loved ones. Call Mr. Elias now for a free consulation.

Should I accept a settlement from the insurance company?

It can’t be stressed enough that insurance companies will try to pay as little as possible. They are a business after all, and they want to make money, not dish it out. Your insurance adjuster may seem friendly and even compassionate, but they are encouraged to resolve claims as quickly as possible, and with as little payout as possible.

It’s very common for the injured party to be promptly visited by an insurance adjuster. They often try to lure you into taking payment that is far less than you are entitled to.

Don’t sign away your legal rights until you speak with Steven Elias, a licensed personal injury attorney since 1984.

How do I handle insurance adjusters?

After an accident, it’s very common for an insurance adjuster to ask you to make a recorded statement about the details of your accident. Don’t!

It’s important to first seek legal advice. These statements could have a negative impact on your case. They often approach you when you are in a vulnerable state, and you might not realize the full extent of your injuries. Once a recording is made, it’s very difficult to correct what you said later.

Can I afford an attorney?

Many people are reluctant to hire a personal injury attorney because they worry about the cost. Our policy is simple, and insures that you CAN afford reliable, competent legal representation. Mr. Elias’ fees come out of your settlement amount. He doesn’t get paid unless you do! He is on your side and has never represented an insurance company.

What if my injuries prevent me from going to a law office?

Sometimes injuries are severe enough to prevent our clients from being able to travel. Even a short trip to our office is impossible when the injured party is bound to a hospital bed. We understand these situations. If you can’t come to us, Steven Elias will personally come to you.

What if I was involved in an accident in Northern Florida?

Mr. Steven Elias is licensed within the entire state of Florida, so even if you live here and your accident happened in Northern Florida, he can help you.

What should I do after an accident?

After an accident you are probably flooded with many emotions. Don’t let the opposition take advantage of your fragile state. There are some very important things to keep in mind if you are involved in an accident.

After an accident, call the Law Office of Steven D. Elias immediately. The insurance adjusters will try to get to you first and pressure you into signing you legal rights away. Absolutely do NOT sign any papers before contacting our office. Often times the injured are not aware of the full extent of their injuries. Do not provide any audio recorded accounts of the accident for insurance adjusters, and do not admit the accident was your fault. Even if you believe to be at fault, there may be details of the accident that you are not aware of.

If you are involved in an accident, don’t take any legal action without contacting us first. If you do, you risk the loss of your claim.

Lastly, if you are solicited by so called “runners” seeking to introduce you to attorneys or doctors, please report it to The Florida Bar immediately. It is not only unethical for someone to solicit you, but it is illegal. The Florida Bar phone number is 1-850-561-5600 and their website is www.floridabar.org.

Free Consultation


Cell: 954-994-9953
(call or text)

Chinese language cell:

Email Us

Follow Us